Saturday, March 19, 2016

Spicy Mushroom Filling

 Sunday is tamale day. Why? Because we are some tamale loving people. So tomorrow my sisters and I will get together around noon and start making masa and filling the tamales. Around 5:00pm we should have a half starved group of maniacs descend upon us to gobble up crunchy chips with homemade salsa and homemade queso and a mountain of freshly steamed tamales.

 Being the decided weirdoest in a bunch of utter nutters, I make the vegetarian filling. Because I love me a vegetarian tamale. (I also love me a meat tamale but for some reason vegetarian tamales make me real happy)

 My usual contribution is Sweet Corn and Green Chili with Queso Quesadilla Cheese. And those will be making a modified appearance tomorrow but I wanted to expand my horizons a little bit. So in addition to the usual sweet corn/green chili I will also be making a Spinach Artichoke and Blistered Jalapeno filling and these:

Spicy Mushroom Filling for Tamales or Tacos or Burritos or Enchiladas or Quesadillas or your face...

2 lbs white button mushrooms roughly chopped
2 large onions cut into medium dice
2 cloves garlic minced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon butter
1 6 oz can tomato paste
Chipotles in Adobo Sauce*
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup white wine
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet until butter is foamy. Add the onions and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook over medium heat until softened. Turn up the heat add the garlic. cook until golden.
Mince up as many chipotle peppers as your heat level can stand (*I'm a chili head so I could have handled more but since others will be eating this I went with one. This was a nice level of heat without being alienating to the less spicy of the crew.) Add the pepper(s) 2 tsp of the adobo sauce, 1 can of tomato paste, the water and wine bring to a boil and turn down real low. Simmer 5 or 6 minutes.
Stuff into whatever you want. I would not recommend this a good filling for dolls and stuffed animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment