Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Two, two, two posts in one!

What do you get when you take a perfectly toasted marshmallow and smoosh it between two chocolate digestives?

Mmmmmmmmmm, happy Wubby.

Daddy liked them too.

Now for the sewing...

I wanted to make Wub a maxi dress. I had this beautiful polka dotted batik fabric in 8 different colors and no clear plan of what to do with it. So....

 I used the red to make bias trim for the straps, the pink to make the bodice, orange lime, teal, blue and purple to form the tiers of the skirt and more red bias to finish the skirt. Visible in the next pic...

the brown I used for the bodice lining. I really think I'm going to stick with black to stitch in cme labels. I like it better though I don't hate the red for this.
I used the halter sundress from IndieTutes for the bodice. I know I've been going on and on about IndieTutes but there is a good reason for it. I did make one minor variation from the tutorial by topstitching all around the top edge. I just like the way it looked.                                               
I'm not 100% happy with the cme sprout tag placement. I lined it up straight with the orange strip but I should have aligned it to the bodice. It comes across a bit wonky.  But again, I don't hate either. The skirt is basically a twirl skirt of which there are roughly half a million tutorials out there for. I probably used a bit of all of them for the construction. For me a tutorial on gathering was the most helpful thing. Because I had a limited amount of fabric, I modified the normal formula of each tier being 1.5 times longer than the last and used 1.33 instead. (If you decide to try something like this you most likely won't have limitations like all of your fabric is in fat quarter form so you can just ignore that 1.33 if you want)

There are a few things I would do differently next time. I would remember at some point before the skirt was halfway constructed, that the seams from where I sewed the strips together really should have been zigzagged. I also will  most likely trim the seams where the skirt tiers come together just to remove some of the weight from the skirt. Very happy with it though.

And so was Wub.

The end...

P.S. When we were dyeing yarn to make dryer balls we made beautiful rainbow yarn which Chloe named Neighbours. This is a very neighbourly dress.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful Pictures!

Post a Comment